Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: Sample command question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Sample command question
Date   Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:58:36 -0000

Partly to echo Richard's comment.

One key thing that remains unclear is quite what you mean by
"database", as Stata has no such notion. Is this a Stata
dataset or a bundle of Stata datasets, or is the Stata
processing a means towards an end of holding the data
in some other form?

Similarly, I don't know what "term" means here either.

In broad terms, your specification seems a long way from the code
you posted.

Perhaps you should work on the specific suggestions already
made, as I don't think your problem is yet precise enough
for anyone to write down code without making further wild

David McClintick
> Perhaps I can clear up what it is that I am trying to accomplish.
> I have 91 variables. I want to generate 10 random samples of each
> variable. So, for instance, for the first variable I would
> have 10 sets
> of 5 observations, only using observations from that variable. Thus,
> when all is said and done, I should have 10 individual databases, with
> each database containing 91 variables with 5 terms in each one.
Richard Williams