Statalist The Stata Listserver


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date index][Thread index]

st: RE: RE: RE: RE: foreach


From   "Nick Cox" <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: foreach
Date   Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:58:31 +0100

My turn to apologise to Justin. I misread "resent", which 
meant "re-sent", as "resent", meaning "object to". Sorry. 

Nick 
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk 

Nick Cox 
 
> I didn't see your second message before I sent my
> first. 
> 
> However, I do suggest, as politely but also as firmly
> as I can, that the implication that it is unacceptable 
> for posters to correct the code of others is totally 
> absurd as a suggestion for a technical list. 
> 
> Nick 
> n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk 
> 
> White, Justin
>  
> > I realized I missed putting the 1 and 0 in quotes and 
> resent an email
> > correcting my code.  When I realized I also missed the use of "in"
> > rather than "of" I again resent my code with the necessary 
> > corrections.
> > Sorry for all the emails.
> > 
> > 
> > Justin White
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> > [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
> > Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 10:29 AM
> > To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> > Subject: st: RE: RE: foreach
> > 
> > The first problem here with Marilyn's code 
> > is that the keyword "in" is not what she needs. 
> > 
> > "in" is legal here but what follows will not
> > be interpreted as she wants. The first time around
> > the loop, the word "varlist" is taken literally 
> > and Stata looks for a variable called -varlist-, 
> > which she evidently does not have. 
> > 
> > If Marilyn (and Justin) look again at the help for
> > -foreach-, they will see that "of" is needed here. 
> > 
> > The second problem, again with Marilyn's original
> > and Justin's suggestion, is that there is a boundary 
> > between numeric and string variables that cannot 
> > be crossed as casually as you wish. This issue
> > also arose in my reply to someone else about a day ago. 
> > 
> > qui foreach x of varlist p03a01 p03a01a-p03a01m {
> > 	replace `x' = "1" if `x' == "si" 
> > 	replace `x' = "0" if `x' == "no" 
> > 	capture destring `x', replace 
> > } 
> > 
> > would seem one possibility. The use of -encode- is 
> > another, probably better. 
> > 
> > Nick 
> > n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk 
> > 
> > White, Justin
> >  
> > > This sounds to me that Stata is having a hard time 
> recognizing your
> > > varlist.
> > > 
> > > Try listing each variable rather than using < p03a01a-p03a01m >.
> > > 
> > > Also, why generate y?
> > > 
> > > Why would you not use this:
> > > 
> > > foreach x in varlist ......... {
> > > 	replace `x' = 1 if `x'=="si"
> > > 	replace `x' = 0 if `x'=="no"
> > > 	}
> > 
> > Ms. Marilyn Ibarra
> >  
> > > I have data that is coded as "si" or "no".  I need to 
> change this to
> > > numeric variables.  I tried the following but keep 
> getting an error
> > > message that says, "varlist not found". Can anyone tell 
> me what I am
> > > doing wrong?
> > > 
> > > Here is the code:
> > > 
> > > foreach x in varlist p03a01 p03a01a-p03a01m {
> > > 	gen y = (`x' == "si")
> > > 	replace y = 0 if (`x' =="no")
> > > 	drop `x'
> > > 	rename y `x'
> > > 	}
> > > 
> > 
> > *
> > *   For searches and help try:
> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> > *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> > 
> > 
> > *
> > *   For searches and help try:
> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> > *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> > 
> 

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/



© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index