Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: How to set up data for estimation

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: How to set up data for estimation
Date   Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:16:12 +0200

Nihal Pitigala:
If the data is set up as in the example you show, than you are ready to go:
just type -reg LnTrade LnTariff LnTransports- (without the hyphens). You
might want to consider moving into crossed random effects here using
-xtmixed-, since each pair of countries is nested within its constituent
countries plus each pair consists of multiple entries, which are again nested
within sector. The entry for -xtmixed- in the XT manual is good in explaining
how to set that model up.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

--- Nihal Pitigala wrote:
Can anyone please tell me how to set up the data to estimate OLS  in stata
and the set of commands. <snip>  I have country i and j and sector k  as in
equation LnTRADE jk =  a1LnTARIFF ijk  + 2LnTRANSPORT ijk + uijk

Data is in the following format:

Country Partner GTAP SectorLn Trade       LnTariff             Ln Transports
Albania Australia       21 agro -3.178341688    2.546306314     1.941615225
Albania Australia       22 milk -4.937585181    3.714802733     2.385086315