st: RE: JMP: Figure 7 In JMP(93)

From   "Ben Jann" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: JMP: Figure 7 In JMP(93)
Date   Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:32:46 +0200

Panel A in Figure 7 simply contains the 90-10 Log Wage
differential for each year. Panels B through D contain
a decomposition of the CHANGE in the differential over
time. So there are your two groups again (incomes in
year x vs. incomes in year y). The confusing thing in
the Figure is that the decomposition results are
reported as deviations from their overall mean. More
details can be found below in my answer to someone who
had a related question

ben

=======
it actually turns out that -jmp- is not so well suited to replicate the analysis in Juhn et al. (1993). The point is that I personally used the technique in another context when I programmed it. I am now thinking of changing the program so it follows Juhn et al. more closely. Meanwhile, a work around could be:

gen long id = _n
expand 2
bysort id: gen id2 = _n
areg ... if id2==2, absorb(year)
est sto pooled
capt matrix drop result
forv y = 1984/2004 {
	reg ... if year == `y' & id2==1
	jmp . pooled, stat(d9010) ref(2)
	mat result = nullmat(result) \ r(stats1)
}
mat list result

The matrix "result" will contain for each year the d9010 statistic of the variables Y1, Y2 and Y3 as described in Juhn et al., where the coefficients and residuals from the -areg- command over the whole sample are used for the "average" coefficients and the "average" residual distribution.

Basically, Juhn et al. plot the contents of "result" after subtracting overall means. (Note that the output displayed by the single -jmp- calls in the code above should not be interpreted.)
=======