From   "Ramani Gunatilaka" <ramani.gunatilaka@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Creating a new numerical variable without mathematical operations
Date   Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:46:27 +0100

Thanks for this. But on closer examination I realise that I can't
relate the two data sets at all. The coding is quite different. I am
very sorry for your trouble.
Ramani

On 21/10/06, Steven Stillman <steven@thestillmans.org> wrote:
gen newvar = province*10000 + city.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu]On Behalf Of Ramani
Gunatilaka
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:47 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Creating a new numerical variable without mathematical
operations

Dear all,
I have two numerical variables, province and city: province has two
digits, city has at least 4.
eg. province= 11, city=  6227
I want to create a new numerical variable called 'newcity' which will
combine province and city like this:
116227
This is because I have to combine this data set with another, and the
unique identifying variable in the second data set has been
constructed in this way.
Can someone please tell me what command I may use?
Thanks so much,
Ramani