Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: storing values from within "by varname :" command

From   "Andrey V. Ivanov" <>
Subject   st: storing values from within "by varname :" command
Date   Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:21:12 +0200

I have a dataset of individuals (and their characteristics) that belong to some groups and live in different regions.

I would like to be able to extract frequencies of individuals by group and region and store these frequencies in a different dataset, ultimately.

so, I have the following code:

by region group : count (if...)

and now I want this to be stored in a special matrix that has a vector of group name, a vector of regions, and the vector of the result of the "count" command.

I know I can bypass all this if I collapse the dataset using the "count" option.

But, my question is more general: it is about storing the output of some command inside the "by varname :" construct.

Chair for Applied Microeconomics, Department of
Economics, Mannheim University, D-68131 Mannheim, Germany
Co-editor of JEPS:

* For searches and help try: