Re: st: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
Date   Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:36:44 -0400

Dear Michael:
I know one of us has responded privately, but we would like to take this opportunity to also comment publicly. Such a kind, generous and thoughtful "farewell" deserves in turn the enormous thanks of those on Statalist to you for all the work you have put into Stata support, including the spectacularly helpful and detailed web site that you and others have maintained at UCLA and your own excellent book, which has helped so many of us in our wrestles with the labyrinthine new graphics.
As you say you are moving to a new post as statistician and consultant, we trust that this is not quite "farewell" from you personally, but whatever you do, best wishes to you in your new post (and your shorter commutes -- more time for Statalist???). We refuse to believe we have heard the last from you.

Nick and m.p.

Mitchell, Michael wrote:

Greetings

I hope that this is not an inappropriate post for the Statalist. I feel that the people on the Statalist have been so warm and supportive to me personally and to our consulting group, that I wanted to send this fond farewell message to all Statalisters. Forgive me if this is off topic.

---------

For the last 12 years, I have been very grateful and very fortunate to have been a statistical consultant here at UCLA. It has allowed me to learn so many things, and the joy of sharing what I have learned with our researchers via consulting and our web site. Because of the deep affection and gratitude that I feel for this position and the mission of our group, it is very bittersweet to announce that I will be leaving UCLA effective October 27th. My commute has grown longer and longer over the years and I will be moving to a position nearby with a 15 minute commute where I will work as a statistician and consultant.

For those on the Statalist... To those who run the list, it was the highest compliment to include a link to our pages at the bottom of each message. Expressing such confidence in our site was the highest praise we could imagine, and helping us share our pages with the world only furthered our highest ambitions. And, the subscribers have so often kindly recommended specific pages from our site, and have reached out to us to collaborate in various ways. The warm and friendly community created here on Statalist is rare, and I appreciate the way that warmth has been extended to me and our group.
To those who have reached out to help us on our site, collaborators of many forms. From those who have send us "error reports" catching errors on our site, to those who have collaborated with us by reviewing pages, reviewing programs, and working with us in a variety of ways, thank you for your generous help. Sometimes people fret that technology separates us, but to me this is an example where technology brings us together to do more than we could alone. Thank you for your contributions to help us build this site for everyone.

When we created the statistical computing web site over 7 years ago, we had the philosophy of providing information to our UCLA clients to help them with common problems, but at the same time we recognized that there was an opportunity to provide the information to the world as well at no extra cost. We thought of this as a "twofer", two for the price of one. When our site reached one million hits, we were delighted over the idea that people from around the world thought enough of our site to visit enough to bring us up to one million hits. Our site now has now exceeded 30 million hits, and we continue to be delighted at all of the visits we receive. Not only that, we have received numerous kind and thoughtful emails from visitors all over the world just contacting us to say that they have enjoyed and benefited from our site. It is humbling to think that every day researchers from all corners of the world are using our site. Your visits and kind emails inspire us to cont!
inue to provide more information in such a way that it not only helps our UCLA researchers, but also can reach you as well.

If you wish to correspond with me personally (and I would very much enjoy that), you can continue to reach me at the same email address, mnm at ucla dot edu.
Fond farewell!

Michael Mitchell
UCLA ATS Statistical Consulting Group
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/