Re: st: partial F test

From   Diego Bellavia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: partial F test
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:13:06 +0200 (CEST)

> Your references to creating a new dataset make me
> suspect that jmp
> (whatever that is) must do things somewhat
> differently than Stata does.

well, JMP is the "cheaper" and less powerful version
of SAS (same brand) focused on a graphical approach to
the analysis. It is supposed to be simpler, but it is
just less powerful, definitely I do not like it.

> >1)
> Just do
>
> regress y

Thank you, simple and efficient, I like it !

> >2) How to perform a partial F test in STATA ?
>
> I think what you call a partial F test I call an
> incremental F
> test.  Either that or I don't understand the
> question.  Perhaps you
> want something like this:
>
> regress y x1 x2 x3 x4
> test x3 x4
>
> i.e. test the hypothesis that the effects of x3 and
> x4 are both
> 0.  You could also do something like
>
> nestreg: regress y (x1 x2) (x3 x4)

Yes it is exactly what I meant even though the concept
is not yet completely clear to me, I will study more
on that.

> >3) Is possible to temporarily exclude some
> observation
> >(potential influencing points) and run again the
> model
>
> Let's assume you have somehow created a variable
> called outlier which
> equals 1 for cases you want to exclude, 0 for cases
> you want to
> keep.  Use the if qualifier on regress.
>
> regress y x1 x2 x3 x4 if outlier == 0

Thank you so much ! simple and efficient again !

> For an overview of using Stata for OLS regression,
> see
>
> http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/xsoc73994/OLS-Stata.pdf

I will study it, thanks for the link and for all the
suggestions