st: wide to long

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: wide to long
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:56:46 -0400

Hi David, thanks for the response. I transfered each individual variable
file to State using Stat transfer. I renamed the variable using a prefix.
However, when I try:

reshape long totistam, i(firmid) j(year)

I get the following message:

year contains all missing values
r(498);

Could anybody please tell me what's going on? I also tried - mvencode - to
replace missing values with 0 but that did not help either.
Best,
alice

Start by Stat/Transferring these into Stata.

But your column names of  "1985", "1986" , etc. will get rendered as, I
believe, "_1985", "_1986", etc..

Each of those needs to be further renamed to have a common prefix that is
distinct for the given table.  Presumably, each table is one variable, so
the prefix should correspond to that variable.  Thus, if the table is
"number of employees" you should rename the variables something like
  nemp1985, nemp1986, etc.
If your table is about revenue, then name them rev1985, rev1985, etc.

(You could, alternatively, change the column names in the Excel tables.
But in any case, for the transfer to go smoothly, the Excel tables need to
be "clean" -- have just the column names in the first row, and the data in
all subsequent rows.)

Do this for each table.
Then you will want to merge all the tables together.

Presumably you also want to -reshape wide-.  That could come before or
after the merge.

Hope this helps.
--David