Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: Ordinal logit with sample selection

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Ordinal logit with sample selection
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:40:10 +0200

Have a look at the thread started with:
and continued at

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

--- Jenny Säve-Söderbergh wrote:
I have data on individuals either selecting funds for their portfolio or not
selecting funds(1 /0 variable). For those who did select funds, I have an
ordinal variable representing the choice of a high, medium or low risk fund
(risk=1,2,3). I am interested only in the choice of portfolio risk, but I want
to control for the possible selection arising from not everyone selecting
funds. Therefore I want to simultaneously estimate an ordinal logit model and a
Heckman selection model.

Would anyone know how I can do this? Would it be possible just to do a probit
equation on the first choice, calculate the Mills ratio, and then include these
in the ordinal probit?