st: RE: relative importance of covariates in an xtmixed or mle model

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: relative importance of covariates in an xtmixed or mle model
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:40:04 +0100

Relative importance of covariates is in
general highly elusive. Someone who
worked in your institution until his
recent death -- Fred Mosteller -- warned
that covariates come as a bunch, not
as a set of individual variables, in his
book with John Tukey, "Data analysis and
regression" (1977). And that's just one
of several accounts repeating the same basic
idea.

I know that doesn't answer your question,
except insofar as you asked for "any advice".

Hillel Alpert