RE: st: RE: log to the base 2

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: log to the base 2
Date   Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:06:50 +0100

The literature you read evidently doesn't
overlap much with mine. I see natural
logarithms everywhere because of the way
they link, naturally, to calculus and logs
base 10 because many people find them convenient.
Logs base 2 come a long way down. However,
David Airey has pointed to one large literature
that differs and no doubt there are others.

Still, who cares much about that different perception?

If you want to write a program, you'll realise
that the name -log- is already
taken. You could write a program defining an -egen- function
but I advise a name very different from _glog.ado as
otherwise confusion at some point is inevitable. However,
a program won't mean that you can use that name everywhere
you can use -log()- and for that reason the work-around
-log(x) / log(2)- is way more versatile.

Raphael Fraser