Re: st: Simple programming question?

From   Philipp Rehm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Simple programming question?
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:14:40 +0200

You may want to consider to reshape your data, perhaps like this:

clear

input id day1 day2 day3 day4 day5 day6
1 0 0 0 1 0 0
2 0 0 0 0 1 1
3 1 1 1 1 1 1
4 0 0 0 0 0 0
end

reshape long day, i(id) j(time)

rename day failure
rename time day

In this format, it would be relatively easy to identify the first day of failure for each person (id), for example by:

bys id: egen dayff = min(day) if failure==1
label var dayff "Day of first failure"

Depending on what data structure you desire, you could reshape back to wide-format, or collapse by person, for example:

collapse dayff, by(id)

HTH,
Philipp

Anderson, Bradley J wrote:

Though I seem to be too simple to figure it out.

I have data like the following:

id day1 day2 day3 day4 day5 day6 ... day90
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 ... 0
2 0 0 0 0 1 1 ... .
3 1 1 1 1 1 1 ... 1
4 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... 0

Assume that a 1 on day`i' represents failure. I'm trying to generate a
variable that gives days to failure for survival analysis. E.g., subject 1
failed on day 4, subject 5 failed on day 5, subject 3 failed on day 1,
subject 4 did not fail and would be considered censored. 90 days worth of
data were collected but not all subjects were observed for the full 90-day
period. Also note that subjects may be recorded as failing (drinking at
hazardous levels) on any combination of days during the 90-day period. I'm
trying to calculate number of days to first failure. Seems like it should
be simple but I'm sufficiently naive that I've not solved it. Thanks.

Brad