st: Simple programming question?

From   "Anderson, Bradley J" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Simple programming question?
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:39:07 -0400

Though I seem to be too simple to figure it out.

I have data like the following:

id day1 day2 day3 day4 day5 day6 ... day90
1  0    0    0    1    0    0    ... 0
2  0    0    0    0    1    1    ... .
3  1    1    1    1    1    1    ... 1
4  0    0    0    0    0    0    ... 0

Assume that a 1 on day`i' represents failure.  I'm trying to generate a
variable that gives days to failure for survival analysis.  E.g., subject 1
failed on day 4, subject 5 failed on day 5, subject 3 failed on day 1,
subject 4 did not fail and would be considered censored.  90 days worth of
data were collected but not all subjects were observed for the full 90-day
period.  Also note that subjects may be recorded as failing (drinking at
hazardous levels) on any combination of days during the 90-day period.  I'm
trying to calculate number of days to first failure.  Seems like it should
be simple but I'm sufficiently naive that I've not solved it.  Thanks.

Brad