Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Manipulating variables with repeated observations

From   "Karen R. Flórez" <>
Subject   st: Manipulating variables with repeated observations
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:12:30 -0400

I have a dataset with kids BMIs that looks like this:

MRN     VisitDate   BMI

123     10/20/04    30

123      6/11/05    25

123      4/14/06    25

Where MRN is the unique identifier. Kids had different visits at
different times and BMI were take at each time. How can I generate
a variable that codes for Visit 1,2,3,etc? So that I can measure
the change between baseline and last follow-up?

Thank you,
Karen R. Flórez, MPH
Doctoral Student, Department of Sociomedical Sciences
Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health