Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: RE: log to the base 2

From   "Raphael Fraser" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: log to the base 2
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:33:04 -0500

I thought the logs were so easy to calculate this would be a single
standard function in Stata. I suppose you thought: if they are so easy
to calculate why write a function.

On 10/17/06, Nick Cox <> wrote:
You hardly need any such function. The recipe
log(x) / log(2) or log10(x) / log10(2) will suffice.

For example,

. di log(8) / log(2)

Strictly just one log function is enough, but -log10()-
is a convenience for those preferring the unnatural.

Raphael Fraser