st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable

Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:59:43 +0100

Rodrigo,

Still not sure I understand the issue she faces.

FE - consistent estimates of the TV coefficients, but not the TI ones
because they drop out.

RE - consistent estimates of the TV and TI coefficients, if not
correlated with the group error component ("fixed/random effect").
Inconsistent estimates of both if endogenous effects.

FE+BE - consistent estimates of TV coefficients.  Consistent estimates
of TI coefficients, if not correlated with group error component, i.e.,
like random effects; inconsistent estimates of TI coefficients if they
are.

She is particularly interested in the TI coefficients.  In terms of
consistency, it doesn't matter if she goes down the RE or FE+BE route.
If one estimate of the TI coefficients is inconsistent, so is the other.

Did I get this right?  If so, is one conclusion that she needs
instruments for her TI variables?

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes