st: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:11:03 -0400

Dear Mark,

RE estimation is more restrictive than the current FE+BE. For RE we need
that time variant (TV) and time invariant (TI) variables have to be
uncorrelated with the cross sectional unobservable (u_i)), if the assumption
if false the TV and TI estimates are inconsistent. But for this procedure
(FE+BE) only TI estimates will be inconsistent (Hsiao 2003, page 52-53). Of
course under not correlation RE is more efficient. The following example
show you the 3 methods: FE+BE, RE and LS.

In T1 we have the xtfevd output, T2+T3 the FE+BE without any adjustment (the
constant is added to T3 therefore the constant in T2 is irrelevant). T4 is
GLS RE, T5 is the LS and T6 is MLE RE. It seems that std errors fot TI in T1
are too much small in compare with other methods, maybe there is a typo in
the ado-file. T2+T3 give us a more reliable result that we can compare with
T4, T5 and T6. Look fem estimate (gender dummy), GLS RE is similar to LS
even that 75% of the total variance is explained by u_i. For T6 the results
are close to FE in the case of coef but very different in the std error of
TI... any idea?

Best, Rodrigo.

/******************** Example **************************************/
qui {
webuse psidextract
tsset id t
xtfevd lwage wks south smsa ms exp exp2 occ ind union fem blk ed,
invariant(fem blk ed)
est store T1
xtreg lwage wks south smsa ms exp exp2 occ ind union, fe
est store T2
predict aux1, r
bysort id: egen aux2=mean(aux1)
replace aux2=aux2+_b[_cons]
reg aux2 fem blk ed
est store T3
xtreg lwage wks south smsa ms exp exp2 occ ind union fem blk ed, re
est store T4
reg lwage wks south smsa ms exp exp2 occ ind union fem blk ed, re
est store T5
xtreg lwage wks south smsa ms exp exp2 occ ind union fem blk ed, mle
est store T6
}
est table T*, se