st: Re: Wide to Panel

Subject   st: Re: Wide to Panel
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:57:42 -0400

You can potentially do this in a loop using Stata's built-in odbc drivers. Stat/Transfer would also work, but you'd have to check how it names the columns that start with a number. I found that when using ODBC these columns are named F2, F2, F4,...

You would need to get a list of the files you want to import into a local macro (perhaps using fs or the dir extended macro function). It would probably be useful if the files were named for the variable they contain or else you could create a parallel list macro that contains those names. I'll assume this latter case. I have hard coded 1985 as the starting year but if it varies across datafiles you would need to create a list to change the initialization of the local year in the loop. Anyway, here's a first cut:

local files "myfile1.xls myfile2.xls myfile3.xls"
local varnames "myvar1 myvar2 myvar3"
local i=1

foreach file of local files {
odbc load, dsn("Excel Files;DBQ=`file'") table("Sheet1$") dialog(complete)
unab vars: _all
local vars: list vars - firm
local var1: word 1 of `vars'
local vars: list vars - var1

local year=1985
local j=2
foreach var of local vars {
rename F`j++' v`year++'
}
reshape long v, i(firm) j(year)
local vname: word `i++' of `varnames'
rename v `vname'

sort firm
if `i'==1 save allvars
else merge firm using allvars, _merge(mrg`vname')

}

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>