st: Partial Least Squares

From   "Silwood, Christopher J" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Partial Least Squares
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:02:00 +0100

Hi,
I have a query concerning the various uses of partial least squares.
In fact I have quite a few queries! I use spectroscopy to analyse
chemical compounds generated from cooking oils upon heating. I have a
large data set comprising samples taken from 6 different oils at three
timepoints and for both control samples and those for the oils treated
with 4 different materials before heating (i.e. 6 oils, 5 treatments
and 3 timepoints). To my relatively untrained eyes there would appear
to be a range of tests that could be applied (and please tell me if I
am way off the mark here):
(a) correlation of category of membership (X matrix) with either the
spectra themselves or spectra-derived compound concentrations (Y
matrix; I assume that this sort of category description is not
appropriate for PLS-DA whereby membership constitutes the Y matrix
instead), i.e. this would be an inverse regression; what contrast
coefficients should I use for matrices combining time and material or
time, material and oil; do I in fact exclude one set of category
membership dummy variable columns as in more typical regression
analyses? Is the use of Q2 and R2 values and 70/30 training/validation
sets appropriate in this sort of analysis?);
(b) spectra (X matrix) versus %fatty acid distribution or generated
compound concentrations (Y matrix, both are easily obtained from
spectra for the calibration set) whereby I could compare PLS1 levels
obtained from individual levels with those derived simultaneously
(PLS2) from the whole lot;
(c) a PLS-DA analysis of spectral data (X matrix) versus class
membership based on, e.g. acceptable limits for safe ingestible levels
of generated compound (Y matrix), i.e. toxic ("1") or non-toxic ("0"),
again do I exclude one of these category membership columns?).

Many thanks if you can help!

This e-mail message may be confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  It may contain information which is or may be confidential, non-public or legally privileged. Please do not disseminate or distribute this message other than to its intended recipient without permission of the author. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. If you have received this message in error, please notify me by email immediately and delete the original message and all copies in your computer systems.