st: partner's occupational score when the woman is not married

From   "solera" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: partner's occupational score when the woman is not married
Date   Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:27:28 +0200

Dear all,
I'm running a discrete time duration model on women's risk of exiting paid work. In addition to covariates such as level of education, type of contract, sector, age and number of children and so on, I would like to include the marital status and, if married, the occupational score of the partner.
However, which value should I give to the occupational score in the months where the woman is not married? If I make occupational score missing, then the model will drop the observations where the woman is not married, so that I can not estimate the effect of marriage. If I give the value 0, STATA reads it as a very low occupational score. A solution could be to make occupational score a categorical varible, defing a certain number of subgroups, with one of the subgroups being "not married". But for different reasons I would prefer to keep occupational score as a continuous variable. Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance
Cristina
*
* For searches and help try: