Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: NBREG for ordinal scales

From   "Matthew C. Johnson" <>
Subject   st: NBREG for ordinal scales
Date   Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:29:57 -0500 (CDT)

Using the svy program in Stata 9.1, I have a dependent variable that is
highly skewed, with a large number of zeros. I think negative binomial
regression is appropriate for my analyses; however, the variable is not a
count or rate. It is merely a five-item ordinal scale. There are several
published articles using the same data set, with identical (or nearly
identical) dependent variables. However, they do not cite a source
justifying the use of regression techniques for count data when the data
is a composite scale from ordinal items. Is there a rule on this that I
have not found in my literature searches? Any help is appreciated