RE: st: RE: Inverse mills ratio and ordered logit

From   Antoine Terracol <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Inverse mills ratio and ordered logit
Date   Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:14:32 +0200

François Bourguignon, Martin fournier and Marc Gurgand have written a command to correct for selectivity bias when the selection process is multinomial logit (not ordered logit).

The Stata command can be downloaded from here : http://www.pse.ens.fr/gurgand/selmlog13.html
and the paper from here : http://ideas.repec.org/p/del/abcdef/2004-20.html

Although it deals with multinomial rather than ordered selection process, it might give you some insight on how to solve your problem.

Best,
Antoine

Maarten Buis <[email protected]> a écrit :

Roberto,
I'm no expert on ordered probit with a selection equation,
but if the 'normal' heckman twostage model needs a
correction than the 'ordered probit' heckman twostage model
will probably also need a correction. However, I don't know
the correction, nor know of any published work on it (but
since I am no expert, that does not mean much).
Alternatively, you could implement the model using Stata's
-ml- command. The maximum likelihood estimates don't need a
correction.

Since this isn't much of an answer, I have forwarded this
message to the statalist in the hope somebody else can give
you more advise. (Even if I knew the answer it would be good
to let such a discussion go over the statalist, because:
a) I might make a mistake and somebody else might catch it,
and b) other people may be following this thread and want to
know the answer.

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

--- Roberto Fontana  wrote:
I agree with you that proit - oprobit is the best option.
To my knowledge, simply using the IMR does not correct the standard errors
in the second stage (or does it?). Are you aware of a procedure in Stata
that allows to correct them? More in general do you know a published paper
that have employed the two-stage procedure with probit-oprobit and Mills ratio?

Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.