Re: st: RE: r2 in -streg-/-stcox-

From   Nishant Dass <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: r2 in -streg-/-stcox-
Date   Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:11:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Maarten,

As I grapple with the survival analysis, I have many
questions but one I would like to ask you first is: why
does the data of Hosmer and Lemeshow (that you use in your
note as well) mainly consist of categorical covariates and
not continuous variables?  Do continuous variables not lend
easily to survival analysis?

Except very few variables (like age), both the UIS data and
WHAS data (in tables 1.3 and 1.4 of their book - 1999
edition) mainly consist of categorical variables only.  I
intend to analyze firms and would like to "control" for
firm-characteristics, which are all "continuous" variables.
  (I say "control" because I don't see them as "predictors"
of hazard.)  So my question is - can these variables be
used, given that they are continuous and only included as
"controls"?

I would sincerely appreciate your help on this.

Thank you,

Nishant