Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters

From   Mariano Sana <>
Subject   st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters
Date   Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:22:54 -0500

I have a data set where each record is an individual in a household. I have
all members of each household. How do I make a dataset that has only one
randomly selected member from each household?

(I know this is statistically incorrect if I were trying to get around the
problem of lack of independence among observations within clusters, but
that's not my goal, so please ignore the statistical implications of this).

I know how to generate a random variable, but I can't figure out how to
proceed after that. Thanks!