st: Re: overidentification test after reg3

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: overidentification test after reg3
Date   Sun, 1 Oct 2006 07:13:13 -0400

Valerie,

I don't think that the reg3 syntax you are using will properly handle the notion that a nonlinear transformation of a LHS variable should be considered endogenous. The alternative syntax -- with the endog() option -- will allow you to specify that those d ln p variables are to be treated as endogenous. But the default syntax of reg3 (see help reg3) causes Stata to take the LHS variables as endogenous and treat all others as exogenous. You will probably get quite different results from your reg3 if you correct this. I would suggest estimating the system without constraints, as you have it and as it should be, to analyse the differences, before reimposing the constraints appropriate from economic theory.

Others may want to comment on the notion of an instrumental variables estimator in which some of the endogenous variables to be instrumented are nonlinear transformations of the LHS variables.

The Wooldridge formula you quoted for the Sargan test should then give you a somewhat more sensible d.f. if all the references to d ln p variables are taken as endogneous variables rather than exogenous variables.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html