Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: GLLAMM and a dependent variable that is a proportion

From   Cameron Gillies <>
To   <>
Subject   st: GLLAMM and a dependent variable that is a proportion
Date   Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:02:46 -0600

I have data with samples nested within individuals that I suspect would best
be analyzed with GLLAMM where I can include a random intercept and one or
more random coefficients.  The difficulty is that the dependent variable is
a proportion (0 to 1).  Is anyone aware if GLLAMM handles this appropriately
using family(binomial) and link(logit) or is it treating non-zeros as ones?

glm does handle this correctly, but cannot include random effects.  I have
run the data using GLLAMM, but it is not clear to me from the results how
the non-zero values are being handled.

I am trying to avoid doing a logit transformation (see

Thanks very much for any insight you may have!

Cam Gillies
Biological Sciences
University of Alberta