Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: -mfx-

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: -mfx-
Date   Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:16:37 +0100 (BST)

Stata doesn't know that you previously logged a variable. It just sees
a column in your dataset that contains numbers, what they mean or what
you've done to it, Stata does not know.

--- Nishant Dass <> wrote:
> I would like to be able to make a statement like "a 1%
> change in lnx results in so many % change in y", so which
> of the following would be correct?
>     mfx c, var(lnx) dyex
> OR
>     mfx c, var(lnx) dydx
> The cause of confusion is whether Stata takes the logarithm
> of a variable or uses an already-"logged" variable in
> calculating the marginal effects.  (If it simply uses
> already-"logged" variables, then what is the use of options
> other than "dydx"?)

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use"  The Wall Street Journal