Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: appending or tostring programming issue

From   Laura Gibbons <>
Subject   st: appending or tostring programming issue
Date   Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:28:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have a program that prepares data (and code) for a DOS-based program.
I need a line above the actual data that is of the form:

with the data below, so it looks like:

I had done this by creating a one line tempfile with a string variable with value "NPKY XXXX" and appending the data file to that file.
Because this first line is in string format, I had to -tostring- the data as well. No problem until a user tried a file with 90,000 different id's;more than the 65,000+ that tostring allows.

Is there a way to generate the header and the data and concatonate them without using append? This way I could keep the id's in numeric format.

Or a way to work around the tostring limitation?

thanks- Laura

Laura E. Gibbons, PhD
General Internal Medicine, University of Washington
Box 359780
Harborview Medical Center
325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104

phone: 206-744-1842 fax: 206-744-9917
Office address: 401 Broadway, Suite 5122
* For searches and help try: