Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: For loop with wildcards for string suffixes

From   "Rachel S" <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: For loop with wildcards for string suffixes
Date   Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:05:31 -0400

I'm trying to figure out the syntax for generating interaction
variables using wildcards for suffixes.

I have variables PhoneAA PhoneBB PhoneCC Phone DD and PreferenceAA
PreferenceBB PreferenceCC and Preference DD.

I'd like to generate the interaction variable that would occur from a
product of these two vectors:
PhonePrefAA=PreferenceAA*PhoneAA, PhonePrefBB=PreferenceBB*PhoneBB, etc.

The problem is that I have many of these types of variables and six
suffixes, and I don't want to type out all the suffixes individually.
Is there a way I can do this using a for loop?