Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Encode string in batch way?

From   "Jia Xiangping" <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Encode string in batch way?
Date   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:31:25 +0800

Dear list friends,

I am dealing with a datafile in which a batch of variables are
mistakenly coded as Y or N in the type of string. You know, string is
useless to me and I have to encode them. It is easy to encode
individual variables via following way:

label define yesno 0 "N" 1 "Y"
encode v1, gen(vv1) label(yesno)
drop vv1
rename vv1 v1

However, you know, there are numerous problems in the file like this,
and I try to encode them a batch way.
label define yesno 0 "N" 1 "Y"
forvalue i=1(1)614 {
encode v`i', gen(vv`i') label(yesno)
drop v`i'
rename vv`i' v`i'

Then I was informed
not possible with numeric variable
end of do-file

Can you help me out? Since there are numerous similar problems,
dealing with them one by one is really annoying.

Xiangping JIA