From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: SELMLOG command syntax help
Date   Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:57:45 -0400

[if] and [in] are delimiters that are defined by an expression or a range, repectively; e.g: sum Y if Dummy==1, or sum Y in 1/10. Secondly, as you can read from -selmlog-'s help file, the dependent variable in the selection equation (depvar_m) is a discrete variable taking more than two values.

Rafael E. De Hoyos
DEC Prospects Group
The World Bank
Washington, DC 20433

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hassan Ghomrawi" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 4:04 PM
Subject: st: SELMLOG command syntax help

I am trying to fit a multinomial logit selection model for my dissertation work. I found the SELMLOG command developed by Bourguignon et al. If someone has fitted such a model before please I would really appreciate your help.

The reference to the syntax is in the following link:

The SELMLOG command is:
selmlog depvar varlist *[if exp] [in range]*,select(depvar_m=varlist_m)
[lee dmf dmf2 dhl(# [all]) showmlogit wls
bootstrap(number_of_replications [sample_size]) mloptions(mlogit

1-Can anyone help me fill in the blanks for the following:
[if exp]
[in range]
because they were not specified in the originial syntax description.

2-how is the choice variable represented in the model:
1 variable with 3 choices (depvar_m) or 3 dummy variables

* For searches and help try: