Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Re: making changes to two files

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: making changes to two files
Date   Tue, 19 Sep 2006 06:31:51 -0400

help preserve

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics

On Sep 19, 2006, at 2:33 AM, Rachel wrote:

I'd like to drop some observations and make other changes to a file
and see how this impact some of my results.  The issue is that, once I
do this, I will probably end up adding variables and making other
changes to this file.  If I decide that I'd rather not drop the
variables and then go back to the old orphaned file I will have to go
back and make all these changes again.

Is there any way I can have Stata apply commands to two files at a
time? If not, is there a good way to handle this issue besides logging
all my commands and manually re-entering them?  (Sure, I can drop
observations only when I'm finished making all other changes to the
file, but in practice, it's hard to know when I'm truly "finished.")