st: RE: sample size for correlation, and for Cronbach's alpha

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: sample size for correlation, and for Cronbach's alpha
Date   Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:41:26 +0100

You might like to try my -powercal- routine (Newson, 2004), downloadable
from SSC using the -ssc- command. -powercal- can do generalized power
and sample size calculations, based on standard errors from a pilot
study and on the principal that quadrupling the sample size halves the
standard error. The last example from this paper demonstrates power
calculations for Somers' D, based on a pilot study, and you could
probably do the same for Cronbach;s alpha, correlation coefficients etc.
You might like to use either -jackknife- or -bootstrap- to calculate a
standard error for whatever statistic you want to use, based on a pilot
study.

I hope this helps.

Roger

References

Newson R. Generalized power calculations for generalized linear models
and more. The Stata Journal 2004; 4(4): 379-401. Pre-publication draft
downloadable from my website (see my signature below).

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London