Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: problem with expected duration

From   "Ellen Van de Poel" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: problem with expected duration
Date   Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:14:13 +0200

Dear Stata users,

I am using a duration model to explain childhood mortality (dying before 5
years of age).
The duration time ranges from 0 to 60 months. A failure dummy indicates
whether or not the child has died before 60 months.

I use: “streg $xvars , dist(lognormal)”

Thereafter I want to calculate expected durations. To do so I use “predict
meanpredct, mean “.

Now, the problem is that these predicted durations are too big, they range
from 102738.1  to  1.33e+09. They can't be interpreted as expected

Could someone give me an idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ellen Van de Poel

Ellen Van de Poel
Department of Applied Economics
Erasmus School of Economics and Business Economics
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Burg. Oudlaan 50
3000 DR Rotterdam
The Netherlands