st: how to access a matrix in a plugin

From   "Tom Boonen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to access a matrix in a plugin
Date   Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:32:58 -0400

Hi List,

I have problems to understand the ST_mat_el() and ST_mat_store()
commands that pass matrices between Stata and my plugin. Here is my
example program:

program matrixAtoB
       version 9.2
tempname inmat outmat
mat `inmat' = (1,2 \ 3,4)
mat `outmat ' = ([.,.] \ [.,.])
plugin call intooutmat, `inmat' `outmat'
matrix list `B'
end

The task is to pass both matrices (inmat and outmat) to the plugin.
Then access inmat and get all of its contents into a C variable, then
possibly do some computations with this variable in C and finally
store the results (which happen to have the same dimensions as the
inpmat) into outmat so Stata can access the output of my computation.

For now, I can do this with a single elment of inmat:

intooutmat.c :

#include "stplugin.h"

STDLL stata_call(int argc, char *argv[])
       {
	   ST_double z ;

		  SF_mat_el( argv[0] , 1 , 2 , &z ) ;
                 SF_mat_store( argv[1] , 1 , 2 , z ) ;

          return(0) ;
      }

This takes the element from the first row second column of inmat, puts
it into z, and then puts z into the first row second column of outmat.
But how can I access the WHOLE matrix inmat in the plugin (not just
element by element) and pout it into outmat?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best, Tom