st: RE: Random effects models with different observations per group (household)

Subject   st: RE: Random effects models with different observations per group (household)
Date   Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:14:43 +0100

Menale,

I don't see why it isn't feasible.  The random effects estimator is a
matrix-weighted combination of the between and within estimators.  If a
household has only one plot, it's a singleton and hence contributes to
the between estimator but not the within estimator.  In practice, it's
obtained via feasible GLS: do OLS on quasi-demeaned data, where
quasi-demeaned means subtracting some fraction <1 of the group mean from
the observation.  In the case of a singleton, the "group mean" is just
the observation itself ... but I don't see what problems could arise
from this.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes