RE: st: Generating lagged variables in an otherwise static panel data set

From   "Jason Yackee" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Generating lagged variables in an otherwise static panel data set
Date   Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:37:11 -0700

Thank you.  I forgot about the -help whatsnew- option, which produces
the following text:

xtset is a new command for declaring panel data.  This command is meant
to eventually replace iis and tis.  For panel
         data with a time variable, xtset and tsset are equivalent.
View the xtset command as a new convenience command,
         something you do not really need but might like to use anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael S.
Hanson
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Generating lagged variables in an otherwise static
panel data set

On Sep 12, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Jason Yackee wrote:

> I've always - tsset - my dynamic panel datasets.  I don't see -
> xtset- in
> my Version 9 xt manual, or in my Version 8 basic documentation.  Is
> there any practical difference between -tsset- and -xtset- besides
> that
> -tsset- doesn't require multiple panels and that -xtset- doesn't
> require
> multiple time periods?

	As I understand it, there is no practical difference between
-tsset-
and -xtset- currently.  (If that turns out to be incorrect, I'm sure
someone else will pipe in.)  -xtset- was introduced in an update to
Stata 9, hence it is not in your [XT] manual if it's an early
printing.  -help xtset- will provide more information.  Search -help
whatsnew- for -xtset- to can learn a little about the story behind
its introduction.

	Hope this helps.

                                         -- Mike