Re: st: RE: simulating a lognormal distribution (correction)

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: simulating a lognormal distribution (correction)
Date   Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:16:19 -0500

You can also form some sort of generalized method of moments estimator
where you are weighting the three estimating equations to form a
conglomerate of those. In the simplest form, if you have the median
MED, the mean MY and the standard deviation SDY, you can form (MED -
exp(mu))^2 + (MY - exp(mu+sigma^2/2))^2 + (SDY^2 - exp(2*mu + sigma^2)
* (exp(sigma^2) - 1) )^2 to be minimized over mu and sigma (or better
sigma^2)... if I got  the variance right!

Indeed, the lognormal distribution is very heavy tailed, although it
has all the moments of positive order, but those moments of higher
orders are unstable. On the other hand, the estimator of the variance
based on the difference between the mean and the median may be
unstable, as well.

For a background reading, you can look up an ancient book on lognormal
distribution by Aithcison and Brown dated back in the 1950s.