st: egen rowfirst and rowlast quirks

From   Abbe Will <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserv <[email protected]>
Subject   st: egen rowfirst and rowlast quirks
Date   Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:22:32 -0400

Hi,
In using the -egen newvar=rowfirst(varlist)- and rowlast commands, I am coming up against a strange quirk where occasionally the value of the new variable is not an exact copy of the first or last value as it should be. Out of 900 observations, about 25 first and last values are created which do not match the actual first and last values exactly. Most of these new values are only one digit higher or lower than the original (sounds like rounding, right?), but a few are 2 digits off, one 11 digits off, one 24.... There seems to be no pattern to which numbers get altered and how. My data are positive integers, so there should be no way to round anyway. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks!

-Abbe Will

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/