st: clustered data and two weights

From   Katarina Boye <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: clustered data and two weights
Date   Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:50:04 +0200

Hi,
I am using data from several European countries (ESS2) and want to use robust standard errors AND the two weights that comes with the dataset. One weight takes account of differences in sample design between countries (individuals or households for example) and the other takes account of the fact that differences in sample sizes do not correspond to differences in population sizes between countries (sorry if I'm not using the right technical language here...). To use both weighs, I have multiplied them to get one "combined" weight, as you can only use one weigh at a time.

If I had only had the design weight, my guess would be that I should use this weight as a pweight (that is, a probability weight) in combination with cluster(country). But as my combined weight is not a "clean" probability weight, can I do this? Or is there a better way to use several weights and get robust standard errors for clustered data?

/Katarina

Katarina Boye
Ph.D. Candidate
Swedish Institute for Social Research (SOFI)
Stockholm University
SE-106 91 Stockholm
Sweden
Phone: +46 8 674 79 97