st: -mfx-: can I just keep the interaction variable?

From   Scott Cunningham <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -mfx-: can I just keep the interaction variable?
Date   Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:07:10 -0400

I estimated a poisson model with a dummy variable plus 60 fixed effects. I want to report the marginal effects for five variables, one of which is a dummy variable ("race"). The Stata output lists the variable as "_Irace_2", but when I used the following command:

mfx, dydx varlist(_Irace_2 covariate1 covariate2 covariate3 covariate4)

I got this error:

no observations
r(2000);

The help on r(2000) says that I have "requested some statistical calculation and there are no observations on which to perform it. Perhaps you specified if exp or in range and inadvertently filtered all the data."

I'm assuming that the problem is with the name of the race dummy - it must not be recognizing "_Irace_2" in the varlist. Yet I've not seen anywhere in mfx as to how to call for a dummy variable's marginal effect. Is it not the same name that is reported in the raw output?

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/