Re: st: Re: foreach program

From   Scott Cunningham <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: foreach program
Date   Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:12:15 -0400

Dear Michael,

If there is a faster way to do what I'm doing, then I'd love to know it, as the code I use takes me a few days to execute because of the computer I'm using and the size of the Census longform survey. Here's a description of what I'm doing. I am calculating incarceration rates by demographic cell, which is defined at the United States state-age-race-sex-year level. I have data for 1980, 1990 and 2000. In 1980, the "group quarter" variable was definite differently than how it was defined in 1990 and 2000, so I've been running two do files - one for 1980 and one for 1990/2000, but they are essentially identical.

I have 9 different age cohorts. I only reported the code for one of them, since they are all identical calculations. The age cohorts are:

1. 15-19 year olds
2. 20-24 year olds
3. 25-29 year olds
4. 30-34 year olds
5. 35-39 year olds
6. 40-44 year olds
7. 45-54 year olds
8. 55-64 year olds
9. 65+ year olds

I have 51 states (50 US states plus District of Columbia).

I have two races (black and white), two sex values, and three census years (1980, 1990 and 2000). My understanding was that to create so many separate incarceration rates and levels, I would need to reproduce the same code for each demographic cell. So I've been using -foreach- to do it. Do you disagree, though, that this is not the most efficient method?

sc