st: RE: capture problem

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: capture problem
Date   Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:34:01 +0100

There is some confusion of terminology here. -arima- is
a command which is defined by a program. From your posting
it is being used inside a .do file (which is not a program
in the strict Stata sense, although informally some people
refer to writing .do files as (part of) Stata programming).

However, I think that when you say "program" you are referring
to the .do file you are running. So, "stop the program" is ambiguous,
depending on whether strict Stata terminology or some
other terminology is being used.

Anyway, to reprise the point of -capture-:

-capture- always sits on the outside of what it is capturing.

It never climbs inside the command to do something
different from what otherwise would have happened.

If you say

capture <command> <details>

then

<command> <details>

is going to go ahead just as it would have done if you
have never issued -capture-. The difference is what
happens to the output.

So, if you want to tune what -arima- does, you will have to
tune -arima-'s <details>.

And an error is still an error, regardless of where
the associated output goes.

Positively, what you want may be -do, nostop-. See
also

SJ-6-2  pr0023  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 32: Do not stop
        Q2/06   SJ 6(2):281                                      (no commands)
        tip for using the do command's nostop option

Richard Boylan