Re: st: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Dependent variable [with zero mass point]

Subject   Re: st: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Dependent variable [with zero mass point]
Date   Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:55:43 -0400

Francesca --
If you did the calculations yourself (i.e. you have the firm
characteristics for all t, and you are calculating the measure of
growth), you may want to rethink your specification.  Can you take the
log of #employees at each t, and model that as a function of the RHS
variables using panel methods?  Or use #employees as your dependent
variable, and use -xtpoisson-.  Either method produces coefficients
that can be interpreted as "effects" in terms of growth (e.g. a one
unit change in RHS variable X is estimated to produce a .05 unit
change in lnY, which corresponds a five percent increase over the
prior year).