st: RE: Dependent variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Dependent variable
Date   Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:07:28 +0100

Without more known about the underlying science,
it is difficult to comment.

But one answer is that you don't necessarily need
to do anything special. It is the conditional distribution
of response given predictors that is the stochastic side
of modelling, not the unconditional distribution. Besides,
a spike near the middle is not much of a pathology compared
with one at an extreme.

Incidentally, claims to urgency usually don't work: see
the well meant advice at
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent

Francesca Gagliardi