Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Mata - what comes after -st_addvar-?

From   "Raphael Fraser" <>
Subject   Re: st: Mata - what comes after -st_addvar-?
Date   Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:33:19 -0500

Any plans for a Mata netcourse in the future?

On 9/5/06, William Gould, Stata <> wrote:
Danielle <> wrote,

> Suppose I have a columnvector in Mata. I know I can use -st_addvar- to add a
> variable to the Stata dataset. But how do I fill in the values of that
> variable with the values of the Mata columnvector? (By now, I have pored
> through the manual, and I canno t find a reference to this!) Thanks,
> Danielle

You use -st_store()- and I apologize that, in the Also See in
[M-5] st_addvar(), that was not mentioned.

Let's use the auto data,

        . sysuse auto, clear

The auto data has 74 observations, so let's create a 74 x 1 vector and
then use -st_addvar()- to create new variable -example- in the Stata

        . mata

        : x = J(74, 1, 2)

        : st_addvar("float", "example")

        : st_store(., "example", x)

        : end

        . describe
        <output shows now variable example>

        . list
        <output shows new variable example contains 2 in every observation>

-- Bill