Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re:st: reorganizing data

From   "Anna Lehman" <>
Subject   Re:st: reorganizing data
Date   Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:29:13 -0500

Thanks for your message.
I tried running the code you sent me and I get the following error message:
". qui foreach P of local persons {
option local incorrectly specified"

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks again,

From: n j cox <>
Subject: Re:st: reorganizing data
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:25:01 +0100

This should work with toy datasets. If your identifiers are
long, or your number of observations is large, the information
won't fit into a string variable, so the lines mentioning
"Others" should be deleted.

gen Others = ""
levelsof Person, local(Persons)
qui foreach P of local Persons {
levelsof City if Person == "`P'", local(Cities)
local which
foreach C of local Cities {
levels Person if Person != "`P'" & City == "`C'", /// local(work) clean
local which : list which | work
noi di "`P': `which'"
replace Others = "`which'" if Person == "`P'"

Anna Lehman

I have a dataset with the following structure:

City Person_id
A 1
A 2
B 1
B 5
C 1
C 5
C 4
D 8
D 1

I would like to obtain the following:
for each and every person, a list with the people that have apartments in
the same city (independently of which city). For example, for person 1, this
list would be: 2, 5 4 and 8. And for person 5 the list would be: 1 .

Can you think of a relatively easy way of acomplishing this?
* For searches and help try:
Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today!

* For searches and help try: