st: RE: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: several endogenous dummies

From   "Verpoorten, Marijke" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: several endogenous dummies
Date   Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:08:08 +0200

Dear Rodrigo,
Dear Mark,

Indeed, this is how I proceeded at first, so

Step 1: use a probit/poisson to calculate the predicted probabilities
for the dummies/count variables
Step 2: use these predicted probabilities in the first stage of the
usual ivreg2
Step 3: second stage of the usual ivreg2 procedure

BTW, the weak instrument problem in this procedure turns out to be as
severe as for the usual ivreg2

Also, I received the following comment (from a referee):

"I went to look at pages 623-25 of Wooldridge but I confess I did not
>see how it applies to your case, which is not a treatment effect. In
>the first part of the book, Wooldridge makes it clear that endogenous
>variables must be instrumented in a linear way, that is, using OLS as
>first stage regression, irrespective of whether the endogeneous
>variable is dichotomous or even Poisson. The reasoning is that the
>purpose of instrumentation is to eliminate the possible correlation
>between the regressors and the error term. Correlation is a linear
concept. Instrumenting in a non-linear way (e.g., the probability from a
first stage probit) introduces the possibility of non completely
eliminating correlation, which is linear by construction. This is why
the ivreg command (or ivreg2) should be used for all instrumentation."

Therefore I tried to present an alternative:

1) instrument using the usual ivreg2
2) instrument using the condivreg procedure, even though its for one
shock at a time (Mikusheva and Poi, 2006) (this was a suggestion of the
referee, but I found it troublesome that it was for one shock at a time,
cf. explanation of Mark in previous email)
3) To verify whether the findings of the condivreg procedure only stem
from the fact that I instrument one shock at the time, I subjected the
confidence intervals obtained in the condivreg procedure to another test
that is robust to weak instruments, i.e. the (heteroskedasticity and
autocorrelation consistent) Anderson and Rubin (AR) test (Anderson and
Rubin, 1949; Chernozhukov and Hansen, 2005). I find that the results of
the AR test do not contradict the CLR results. (To use the AR test to
construct confidence intervals instead of merely verifying the ones
obtained by condivreg requires a lot of computations since I have 7
endogenous variables)

Anderson, T. W. and H. Rubin (1949), "Estimators of the Parameters of a
Single Equation in a Complete Set of Stochastic Equations", Annals of
Mathematical Statistics, 21: 570-582.

Chernozhukov, V. and Ch. Hansen (2005), "The Reduced Form: a Simple
Approach to Inference with Weak Instruments", Unpublished Manuscript.

Mikusheva, A. and B. Poi. (2006). "Tests and Confidence sets with
correct size in the simultaneous equations model with potentially weak
instruments." Stata Journal.