RE: st: creating an unique household identification number

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: creating an unique household identification number
Date   Fri, 1 Sep 2006 20:02:49 +0100

No, I didn't mean that. That would be illegal.

I meant what I said, -group()- with the -label- option.

Note the convention of using - - to indicate literal
Stata code within. Admittedly, the convention of describing
-egen- functions in this way

-egen, group()-

includes a comma that you don't actually type. In
your case the solution contemplated was

egen newhhid = group(batch_nu hhid_nu), label

except that you confirmed my guess that you have too many
observations for this to work.

Type -help limits- and scroll to -label-. You can't have
3.5 million labels. Thus one of Friedrich's other suggestions
or -egen, concat()- should be nearer the mark.

Simo Hansen

> Thanks Nick for your contribution. Indeed, I have a big data
> set-3.5 million
> observations.
> When you suggested using label with egen group (), do you
> mean to use this
> command in the following form?
> egen double newhhid=(batch_nu hhid_nu).

Nick Cox

> In addition, -egen, concat()- works either way,
> and even with a combination of numeric and string
> inputs. The result is always string.
>
> Incidentally, with -egen, group()- you would
> usually like to add the -label- option. However,
> Simo's dataset might be really big, in which
> case -egen, concat()- might offer the better choice.

Friedrich Huebler